Saturday, August 11, 2007

Something in the dark

The dark is cold and savage. In the distance it approaches me. I can feel it coming. I can hear its breath. Its closer than I think.

"Hello my old friend, we meet again," it whispers to me.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"The same thing you are," I know its smiling. I can't see it, but I feel it. I feel that evil smile in the dark. How quickly life can change and turn--one moment all seems well and in the next it collapses.

"I don't want you here." It knows I'm scared. I can sense it in the deepest part of my soul. The dark doesn't always bring peace. The dark doesn't always bring quiet.

"You made me, now you don't want me." It's close. Very close. I can feel its cold breath. I can smell the stink. "You have to face me sometime. Were you so foolish to think that you could hide in the dark. Did you think you would find refuge here? Mercy?"

Its circling me. I can hear its heart beating. How I wish I could start over... start again. Pain or no pain, I wish I could begin everything again.

It laughs, "You are a fool." Can it hear my thoughts? Does it know what I am feeling? It laughs more. "The more you run or hide from me, the closer I get. The more you try to understand me, the more I become a part of you."

Its around me everywhere, slithering, walking, crawling. I can't tell. It tightens. It has me in its grip. The pain sets in, it fills my muscles, my nerves, my bones. It tightens its grip on me. I feel my life draining into the darkness. As the darkness absorbs my soul, I hear: "I forgive you."

No comments: